Thursday, January 28, 2010

Physical Education outside the school walls

Today I had a high school female, junior, approach me and ask for more information concerning stability balls and medicine balls. She were not satisfied with her current workout and wanted a broader variety of information. I was able to give her two DVDs from Juan Carlos Santana on those specific topics. Isn't that exactly we want as teachers? Our students seeking us out for further information about a topic they have evaluated and determined isn't meeting their specific needs? I was floored and invigorated, I still am as I sit down and write this post some two hours later.

If a student can apply specific content knowledge outside of the classroom at a local fitness facility, does my class have to meet within the traditional school model/structure/walls? I don't think so. With the vast amount of information on the internet (we are a 1:1 school this year for our secondary students) and for a student to approach their teacher for guidance was amazing.

With things like wikispaces, ITunes U, UTube, etc. why couldn't a student take a physical education class at their local fitness facility? As a teacher I think you would provide them with what you would want to be covered and figure out an assessment for them to determine if it was completed or how it fits into their overall fitness goals.

Who have you impacted today? The girl who came to me for information concerning her personal physical fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment