Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mac Training and Postural Reminder

As I am sitting in my second Mac training session (great presenters Rae and Lainie leading) I notice my posture and that of others who are working on their computers. As this technology grows, the level of sedentary involvement also increases. Though different sources debate the impact of posture on one's overall health, I believe that improper posture does negatively impact the body in as little as 10 minutes and can last as long as 60 minutes. In the future I believe tables/chairs/desks must be individually fit to the person utilizing it to increase one's posture and decrease the prevalence of carpal tunnel and other repetitive disorders. Look for future posts discussing posture and ergonomic designs of work stations / desks. Also to decrease the prevalence of improper posture is to systematically get up and add movement into your daily routine (every 10 min. or so). JAM (Just Add Movement) is a place for educators to infuse just one min. of exercise into the lives of their students. Though many might find it time consuming the benefits will last longer than a traditional class period. A typical class period (45 min.) would include four one-min. JAM sessions but I believe the students would be more focused during instruction time.

Who have I impacted today? Those who learn just one thing I teach them from my training session today.

No comments:

Post a Comment